Thursday 30 August 2012

Rights of Slaves in Islam

Rights of Slaves in Islam:

Although Islam did recognise Slavery’s existence; the Quran and Sunnah (Prophetic teachings) has an extremely Strong emphasis on Freeing slaves.

Quick Reference:
Freeing Slaves in the Quran, see; Surah al Baqarah 2:177, al-Balad 90:12-13, at-Tawbah 9:60.
Expiations for Certain Sins is to Free a Slave: an-Nisa 4:92, al-Ma’idah 5:92, al Mujadilah 58:3.
Encouraging Free people to Marry Slaves: al Baqarah 2:221, an-Nur 24:32-33, an-Nisa 4:25. [Sahih al Bukhari Vol1,Book3 (Knowledge),#97]


Prophetic Statements
in regard to Slaves and their Rights
:

Narrated Al-Ma’rur:
At Ar-Rabadha I met Abu Dhar who was wearing a cloak, and his slave, too, was wearing a similar one. I asked about the reason for it. He replied, “I abused a person by calling his mother with bad names.”
 The Prophet said to me, ‘O Abu Dhar! Did you abuse him by calling his mother with bad names You still have some characteristics of ignorance. Your slaves are your brothers and Allah has put them under your command. So whoever has a brother under his command should feed him of what he eats and dress him of what he wears. Do not ask them (slaves) to do things beyond their capacity (power) and if you do so, then help them.’ ”

Hilal b. Yasaf reported that;

a person got angry and slapped his slave-girl. Thereupon Suwaid b. Muqarrin said to him: You could find no other part (to slap) but the prominent part of her face. See I was one of the seven sons of Muqarrin, and we had but only one slave-girl. The youngest of us slapped her, and Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) commanded us to set her free.
Saheeh Muslim Book 015, Number 4082.

Abu Mas’ud al-Badri reported:

I was beating my slave with a whip when I heard a voice behind me: Understand, Abu Masud; but I did not recognise the voice due to intense anger. He (Abu Mas’ud) reported: As he came near me (I found) that he was the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) and he was saying: Bear in mind, Abu Mas’ud; bear in mind. Abu Mas’ud. He (Aba Maslad) said: threw the whip from my hand. Thereupon he (the Holy Prophet) said: Bear in mind, Abu Mas’ud; verily Allah has more dominance upon you than you have upon your slave. I (then) said: I would never beat my servant in future. [Sahih Muslim Book 015, Number 4086]
It was narrated that;

Abdullah Ibn Umar had once beaten a slave-boy of his. Then, he called him and asked him: “Does it hurt you? The boy replied: “No”. Ibn Umar said: “Go you are free” and then picked some sand from the earth and said: “I have no reward in what I have done. I heard Allah’s Messenger (PBUH) say: “Whoever beats or slaps his slave-boy on the face should manumit [free] him as an atonement.”
 Sahih Muslim: Al-Iman book, chapter about company of slaves, atonement for whoever slaps a slave (1657), Abu Dawoud (5168), Ahmad (5051)

No comments:

Post a Comment